Subject: Re: VS2000/MV2000 boot questions
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/2001 07:16:27
Hi !

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:
[VS2000]
>   ?  E  0040  0000.0005
>   ?  C  0080  0000.4001
>   ?  6  00A0  0000.4001
> ??  1  00C0  0000.7004
>
> Note that I do NOT get the KA410 opening banner, I do NOT get the test
> numbers as they are being run, this is all I get (and no chevron prompt)

The missing banner is strange, but those Errors/Warninge needn't be too evil.
1 is NI, the network interface. This might be a termination problem, check the
AUI/Thin-switch and so

> According to info on the web E is clock battery (doh!) and C is bogus
> console. 6 isn't documented bu I'm guessing it has something to do with
> memory since 00A0 is 10MB (which is what I should have). The 1 at the end
> is even more distressing since it is a double ?? which usually indicates a
> fatal problem. It could be the frame buffer I suppose. Anyone know for
> sure? Do I _have_ to short 8&9 to get a console on this thing?

If you get something on the serial console, you neen't connect those pins
anymore i think. And every VS2k has a mono onboard framebuffer.
For the Warnings E, C and 6: E goes away with changing the battery, C should
be ignored i think, you have console output, and 6... don't know, if this is
really memory... But it isn't that fatal :) But memory is B AFAIK. 6 is SCSI
on VAXstation 3100, so it might be some disk-controller-related warning.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.