Subject: Re: Test kernel available
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Erno Palonheimo <esp@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2001 01:03:02
Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com> writes:

> hmm, speaking of.....  i've got a VXT2000+ here, and a copy of the
> software it runs.  the guy i got it from was convinced that it was
> only possible to boot this thing from another Ultrix/VMS machine,
> but stated that he didn't really know anything about NetBSD.  if all
> it does is netboot, i should be able to netboot this thing off of
> whatever i have laying around?

> NetBSD, VMS, or Solaris.  probably Solaris since my sun boxes have
> the most disk space of the machines here.  that would be cool, cause
> i don't have a copy of VMS laying around and i don't really feel
> like monkeying around with Ultrix ever again in my life.  if someone
> could confirm this maybe i'll add it to my list of things to do.

I've successfully booted my VXT2000 from a Solaris 2.6 machine, from a
Linux 1.2 machine and of course from NetBSD.  I even wrote a FAQ about
it a long time ago, but that's long gone as I lost the files in a Huge
Headcrash<tm>.

--
Erno Palonheimo    | Pajupillintie 15 A 6 | UNIX System Administrator
http://iki.fi/esp/ | 00420 Helsinki       | Helsinki University of Technology