Subject: Re: Test kernel available
To: None <wonko@tmok.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/2001 20:11:00
Hi !

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> ah, NetBSD knows about NFS, but the ROM doesn't have a clue.  something has to
> exist to get the kernel/bootloader onto the system which then understands NFS.
>
> in this case we are using MOP, which is just a replacement for tftp.  i can
> netboot my DECstations using my choice of MOP of TFTP, so it's just one more
> option.

VAXen never knew about TFTP to boot systems AFAIK. MOP is the way to boot them.

> i'll probably just build a MOP server on my sparc20 since a lot of the ROM
> versions for the DECstations are buggy with tftp.  plus this new problem of
> not being able to use the tftp server provided with solaris >= 7 (haven't tried
> a copy of the 2.6 tftpd, and i'm pretty sure the one from 2.5.1 works)

Don't think about DECstations... VAXen are _VERY_ different.

> i'll report success/failure later today sometime.

Very fine.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.