Subject: RE: KA675/KA680 differences
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/12/2001 16:34:43
At 12:47 AM 1/13/2001 +0100, Michael Kukat wrote:
>Hi !
>
>On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Carlini, Antonio wrote:
> >       The KA675 runs the NVAX at 16ns, the KA680 at 14ns.
> >       Both have a backup cache of 128KB. The KA675 disables the
> >       NVAX on-chip VIC (but I'm fairly sure the other on-chip cache
> >       is left enabled).
>
>So the speed might be not that different? According to the HW reference on
>www.netbsd.org, KA675 (4000/400) is Mariah based and rated 16 VUPs, while the
>KA680 is rated 32 VUPs. But ok, i'll see. It just came up in networked single
>user mode. I'll compile a kernel now, put my KFQSA in it, and have fun with
>a cool new machine... at least i hope so :)

According to this article from the DEC Technical Journal:

<http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/vax-nvax.html>

The VAX 4000/400, 500, and 600 are all the same NVAX chip. This used to be
on DECs web site (and then Compaq's) but within the last 5 days it was
taken down. Fortunately Google had cached a copy which I snagged.

--Chuck