Subject: Re: More on NetBSD 1.5 boot problems on VaxStation 3100
To: None <schwarz@physik.tu-berlin.de,>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/01/2001 10:48:19
At 07:22 PM 1/1/01 +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
>Now the generic 1.5 kernel asks me for the name of the root revice. The
>cursor is flashing rapidly, and no input is accepted (I'm using the
>system console).

If the kernel is asking for the root device then you don't have the device
you just booted from configured into the kernel. This also leads to stray
interrupts.

>The old 1.42 kernel I had compiled works fine.

What did it announce as your SCSI controller?

>config          netbsd root on ? type ?
>mainbus0        at root
>vsbus0          at mainbus0             # All VAXstations
>le0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200e0000 # LANCE ethernet
>dz0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200a0000 # DC-367 DZ-11 lookalike ctlr
>si0             at vsbus0 csr 0x200c0080 # VS2000/3100 SCSI-ctlr

On my VS3100/M76 I need both si0 and si1 since there are two SCSI channels
and the si1 channel is the one that boots on the internal drive.

You might also add:
dz0             at vsbus0 csr 0x25000000 # VS4000/90 serial line

Perhaps the M38 has a more advanced serial controller? (just a guess based
on your lack of keyboard input)

>BTW, what options do I have to add in order to support the VaxStation
>3100's floppy drive?

Good question, I've got a VS3100/M30 with a SCSI drive it would be
interesting to know what options it needs.

--Chuck