Subject: Re: fun with SCSI, not.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/2000 14:44:26
At 08:27 PM 12/29/00 +0100, Jochen wrote:
>Try again with a biger block size. Say 32k, 128k or 1024k. I noticed
>that really small blok sizes like 512 bytes can be horribly slow.

That certainly helps, with 16K records I get 700+ K/second.
                             32K records I get 728+ K/second.

This is also a very interesting metric because it means that at "nominal"
block sizes, the I/O time is dominated by the MSCP setup time. That being
said the DSSI driver for the 3400 should a much more significant upgrade
than I imagined if it can come close to on-board SCSI performance from the
3100/M{10,20} class machines.

--Chuck