Subject: Re: Any NetBSD installations on VAX 11/{780,750,730} systems?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/2000 10:28:56
> 	In terms of additional 'older' machines, we have the 11/730,
> 	11/725, MicroVAX I, and there is one other I cannot remember
> 	offhand (MicroVAX II CPU with single level page table, max 4MB).

I have been cruising the dumpsters for 11/7xx fodder, in the hope
that St. Nicholas surely does not need it anymore.... maybe someday.

I don't know if there is much hope for a 725, but I would expect
a 730 should be doable.  The 725 just does not seem to have much
expandability, if I am reading the 1985 options guide correctly,
in that it can only support a pair of 26 mb mfm drives (one of
them being the removable RC25 thing).  Still, it is a cute looking
little critter.

> >                 - huge kernels (I dunno if that is a function of
> >                                 gcc or creeping featuritis or both)
> >
> 	We have been using gcc since the start of NetBSD, so its not
> 	relevant for comparing 1.5 with other NetBSD versions.

I am curious if there is not some gccism there.  gcc has gotten huge
over the years, and we don't have a good yardstick for comparing it
against earlier versions.  I can't put numbers on that yet, but it
is a feeling I have had for several years.

Anyway, I brought up the MVII with its scsi drives and loaded back
a 1.5 and a 1.4.3 last night, so I will have a wack at seeing if
I can find out anyting about why my MVII is sooo  s l o w.

Bob