Subject: Re: VAX 4000-300 and SCSI
To: Mattias Nordlund <mathew@eagle.y.se>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/2000 15:17:00
Hi !

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Mattias Nordlund wrote:
> I have installed NetBSD 1.5 on a VAX4000-300 with a CMD scsi controlller
> and the installation went just fine and it found my RZ26L as ra0 (think it
> found it as a RA80?). But when trying to boot from the disk it will only
> go as far as the boot-loader, but not any longer. When it is supposed to
> load the kernel it just sits there. I guess there is something wrong with
> the bootloader, but what can it be? Can it be that it install a
> ra-bootblock wich can't boot the scsi disk or the other way around, and
> how do I change bootblock if so is the case?

Your disk is just MSCP, which means those RA??-devices. Is your controller
correctly configured for the hard drive? Most MSCP controllers have a nice
configuration in the PROMs. MSCP booting is definitely possible on the
4000/300, at least was with 1.5_ALPHA or so, because i use it here wit a
KFQSA controller and a RF71 DSSI disk.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.