Subject: Re: Any NetBSD installations on VAX 11/{780,750,730} systems?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jarkko Hermanni Teppo <jate@UWasa.Fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/29/2000 14:36:55
On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 12:18:18PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	We also have X on the Microvax 2000, plus its own unique
> 	built in MFM controller.

The uVAX 2000 MFM controller is supported for RD-disks in 1.5. Okay,
I haven't tested the release but it did work on 1.5A.

Using the machine was a different thing altogether, 1 VUP machine
with 6MB memory. After booting (plenty of time to have lunch) it
started paging when you typed 'ls'. Granted, this was the GENERIC
kernel with all IPv6-stuff..

> 	On a more general note, there is also work on a new scsi subsystem
> 	which should reduce the complexity of individual HBA drivers and
> 	improve overall performance, plus a unified buffer cache which
> 	should make much more effective use of memory on systems.

So there might be hope for hp300 MI-SCSI ?:)

> 	use it, a reworked LKM mechanism which should enable kernels to be
> 	much smaller and load less frequently used hardware support on
> 	demand,

This would be (if done well, which I'm sure it will be) a *really* good thing.
See my "6MB memory"-comments.

Jarkko "got to get hp300 to -current for UBC" Teppo
--
jht