Subject: Re: Any NetBSD installations on VAX 11/{780,750,730} systems?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Clint Wolff (VAX collector) <vaxman@qwest.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 17:04:38
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	The first could be handled by having an optional single rc
> 	script drop in replacement for rc.d. That way people can continue
> 	to benefit from other NetBSD enhancements, we do not split
> 	development effort, and people with bigger vaxes, or even
> 	non vax boxes who 'Just Want The BSD rc' can also use it.
>
> 	Of course, it requires people ready to commit to the time and
> 	effort to maintain such an rc setup, and to track changes made
> 	to the standard rc.d

What about a utility (based off of /bin/sh) that marches through rc.d and
generates a rc.fast file for future boots... If you change the boot
scripts, you can 'rm rc.fast' and reboot using rc.d... Once you are
happy with the changes, 'rc_fast_gen_really_long_and_annoying_name'
(or 'rcg') creates a new rc.fast with all the same program invocations
as in rc.d...

clint