Subject: Re: MVII bits in a BA215 minitower...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 11:41:08
At 02:13 PM 12/28/00 -0500, NetBSD Bob wrote:
>OK, I can try that boardset or the KA640 boardset with the
>scsi/tk150/deqna Qbus boards.  Since we are into MVII testing,
>I should probably stick with the MVII boardset, although I
>could run up a 1.5 on the KA640 boardset for comparisons.
>That might be good information to have.

I agree that would be a good comparison.

[...]

> >  From right to left:
> >          CPU
> >          Mem
> >          Mem (opt)
> >          DEQNA               Across the top A/B?
> >          DISK                  "
> >          TAPE                  "
>
>OK, if I use the KA640 boardset, the same relationships would apply
>I am assuming, and all the others stay in A/B slots?

Yes that is correct.

> > It will be fun. I may have a spare KA650 cab kit if you decide you want to
> > do this on a more permanent basis :-)
>
>Will this corectly fit into the BA215 cabinet, or do I need to seek out
>one of the BA213 sized cabinets.

 From a card perspective the BA213 and BA215 are identical, the difference
is that the BA215 has one power supply and 6 slots and the BA213 has two
power supplies and 12 slots. The KA650 cab kit is the same size as the
KA640 cab kit, only on the 650's there is no ethernet port.

>Thanks, Chuck....

Any time.

>Bob
>
>p.s.  Any other tapebooting things I might try for a 1.5 boot.fs?
>       The last one you did worked fine copied to a spare HD, but
>       did not tapeboot.  It just aborted to prom.

Yup, the xxboot code doesn't know how to talk to tape apparently or I built
it incorrectly. If I get a moment to go back to the 1.4.x tree and see how
it got built in that tree I may be able to resurrect it for the tape.

--Chuck