Subject: Re: VAX 4000 7xx boxes run NetBSD?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 20:16:57
Hi !

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> When it rains VAXen, it pours VAXen.... (:+}}... A local buddy says
> he may have several 4000 7xx boxes for me that would otherwise be
> going to the crusher.  IFF I am lucky enough to intercede before
> said crusher exerts its pressures, can a 4000 7xx class machine be
> coerced into running some sort of NetBSD?  I don't see it on the
> official list, but that does not mean it might not be somewhat
> ready for possible use or development play.  Anyone have any
> thoughts on a VAX 4000 7xx  (BA440 case I think) type machine?

Wow! Don't let the crusher get any of these machines. They are really nice
machines. For now, they aren't supported, but as soon as the 105A and 500
machines run, the 700 shouldn't be any problem.
Until then, you should put VMS on it :)

Too bad you're a bit far away, i would take one or more of those boxes. But
i think, there are enough enthusiasts to pick up all machines. They may not
die!

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.