Subject: Re: MVII bits in a BA215 minitower...
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 14:13:39
> >I have a TKQ70 and TK70 drive, originally from the MV3300.
>
> You'll probably want to put these back in? (When you say "from" did you
> actually remove them? If not they will work fine with the MV2)

I moved them over to a MVII for testing one time and then stuck them
back in.  I dunno if I changed any switch settings, but I might have.
I think it might have worked ok on ultrix the last time I fired it up
with its current switch settings.

> >I have the original KA630 cpu and ram set from another MVII,
> >but I understand those WONT work in the BA213 cabinet, right?
>
> I've got empirical evidence that they do work.

OK, I can try that boardset or the KA640 boardset with the
scsi/tk150/deqna Qbus boards.  Since we are into MVII testing,
I should probably stick with the MVII boardset, although I
could run up a 1.5 on the KA640 boardset for comparisons.
That might be good information to have.

> The only one being where you can place the boards. This will limit you to 6
> boards total and with MVII + Memory taking up 2, DEQNA + tape + disk with
> 3, that leaves you 1 to play with. So if you have two memory boards it will
> be full.

Well, that will be all the boards I would have spare to put in it anyway,
so full up is fine.

> >Are there any particular board orderings I should use?
>
>  From right to left:
>          CPU
>          Mem
>          Mem (opt)
>          DEQNA               Across the top A/B?
>          DISK                  "
>          TAPE                  "

OK, if I use the KA640 boardset, the same relationships would apply
I am assuming, and all the others stay in A/B slots?

> It will be fun. I may have a spare KA650 cab kit if you decide you want to
> do this on a more permanent basis :-)

Will this corectly fit into the BA215 cabinet, or do I need to seek out
one of the BA213 sized cabinets.

Thanks, Chuck....

Bob

p.s.  Any other tapebooting things I might try for a 1.5 boot.fs?
      The last one you did worked fine copied to a spare HD, but
      did not tapeboot.  It just aborted to prom.