Subject: Re: rc.d (some debates never die :-) (Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 08:21:12
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

> : Frankly I think it had advantages but the cost was too high and should have
> : been scrapped. Unfortunately the "curse" of the open software movement is
> : that we get to revisit these mistakes again and again and again and never
> : get out of the cycle (talk to me about "transport independent" RPC sometime)
>
> I presume you aren't blaming NetBSD's incarnation here?  After all, our rc.d
> is not like the other systems at all:  it has been spcifically designed with
> the lessons learned from the previous methods in mind.
>
> I hated it at first, but once I got used to the provide/require/before
> system, this became damned useful.  8-)

I've still not looked at it yet, but is there some way we could still have
the functionality of the individual rc.d script without invoking a new
shell to run each script?  Could they all be executed using a single shell
and some clever sourcing using the Bourne "." command?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers.  -- Pablo Picasso.