Subject: Re: boot disc
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/28/2000 10:20:52
Hi !

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, NetBSD mailing list wrote:
> So if I buy a let's say 9GB disk to install on my 4000/90 NetBSD won't
> boot from it ??

I didn't try this out. My largest disk here is the RZ28 with just below 2Gigs.
When you encounter no problems with a 4Gig drive, a 9Gig drive should also
work fine. I think you just should try it. Get sure, the drive is SCSI-II, then
it should make no trouble with the interface, and if the PROM has some problems
with this disk, you can easily boot off the 500MB disk. Anyway, it is always
better to have lots of different disks to spread the filesystems over, this
can improve performance. Imagine a shell script always starting awk from the
root or /usr partition, and working on files in /home, which is another disk.
Then there are 2 sets of mechanic stuff in the disks, the access is much faster
than all the filesystems being mounted from one disk.

And 500 Megs are really enough for a nice playground. If you want more, you
can mount /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/local and /usr/src or whatever your needs are, from
the second disk. Just an example on one of my netbooted HPs:

raider:/export/netboot/oceanus  /       nfs     rw      0 0
raider:/export/netboot/netbsd-1.5-hp300/usr     /usr    nfs     rw      0 0
raider:/export/home     /home   nfs     rw      0 0
/swap   swap    sw      sw      0 0
raider:/scratch/pkgsrc /usr/pkgsrc nfs rw 0 0
raider:/export/NetBSD-1.5/packages/hp300 /usr/pkgsrc/packages nfs rw 0 0

The first entries are local disks on the machines having them, and NFS
filesystems on the machines without disks.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.