Subject: Re: rc.d (some debates never die :-) (Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 21:04:12
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

: Frankly I think it had advantages but the cost was too high and should have
: been scrapped. Unfortunately the "curse" of the open software movement is
: that we get to revisit these mistakes again and again and again and never
: get out of the cycle (talk to me about "transport independent" RPC sometime)

I presume you aren't blaming NetBSD's incarnation here?  After all, our rc.d
is not like the other systems at all:  it has been spcifically designed with
the lessons learned from the previous methods in mind.

I hated it at first, but once I got used to the provide/require/before
system, this became damned useful.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/