Subject: rc.d (some debates never die :-) (Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II
To: Lord Isildur ,Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 17:33:57
At 07:46 PM 12/27/00 -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:
>I still think the rc.d stuff is needless complexity and just bowing down
>to the pressure of trendy fashion in the linux and sysV worlds.

A bit of history perhaps, perhaps just one person's view...

I was in the systems group at Sun when System V was born. I make no
apologies for that but chuckle at the way things turned out sometimes :-)

rc.d was introduced primarily (and this from the Requirements Documents
that AT&T had generated) to facilitate the easy installation of third party
software to a running platform. All "commercial" operating systems up to
that date provided mechanisms whereby the OS vendor defined interfaces for
third parties to use when they wished to install initialization (aka boot
scripts) without compromising the integrity of the system over all.

The mechanism at the time of using sed(1) on /etc/rc was error prone and
damn difficult to manage. rc.local wasn't much better and people began
adding rc.frame and rc.greenhills kinds of hacks. Creating a directory
init.d that had the mechanisms installed in it and then the rc.1, 2, etc
that had hard links defining the invocation order for those scripts.
Frankly I think it had advantages but the cost was too high and should have
been scrapped. Unfortunately the "curse" of the open software movement is
that we get to revisit these mistakes again and again and again and never
get out of the cycle (talk to me about "transport independent" RPC sometime)

--Chuck