Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 19:46:04
I still think the rc.d stuff is needless complexity and just bowing down
to the pressure of trendy fashion in the linux and sysV worlds. I
personally find the monolithic rc script to be a much cleaner mechanism
and will point out that as nice and pretty as some folks might think the
present broken up netbsd rc.d is, just give it time to become
disgustingly fragmented and start resembling ugly-as-hell linux rc's,
which are a nightmare forest of environment vars and symlinks and all
sorts of other ridiculous stuff. Theres no need for it to be like that. I
cite the monolithic rc for NetBSD's rc's having remained so much more
streamlined and simple for so many years, but now weve opened the
floodgate for cruft and bit-rot in yet another avenue. that's my argument
then and now. I'll continue using monolithic rc's, even if it is extra
work for me to put them on newer systems, but it's just one more of the
incentives to stop following newer netbsd releases..... the general
mega-bloat and creeping linuxification/popularity contest stuff is the
reason.

as a side comment, i think the release cycle has been made artificially
short in NetBSD. People are barely getting time ot fix bugs and make
current releases stable when the ports have to contend with the new
version's directives and must table the bug fixes and hardware support to
work on much more bogus version-related stuff. On arch'es like i386 where
there are a lot of developers, this might be fine, but other
architectures are being increasingly marginalized, and it is only through
heroic effort on the part of the core ports people that things still work
and new hardware gets supported...

 just my $.02
isildur