Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 18:25:58
On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 07:17:10PM -0500, Lord Isildur wrote:
> yet another reason to ask 'why on earth did they do that?' I had a large
> argument with several folks on port-alpha where this became a big issue
> a while back. I never got an acceptable explanation as to why they went
> with the (imho retarted) rc.d crap..

Since your message indicates that there's no reason you'd find acceptable,
I'm probably wasting my time typing this...

For the rest of you, though, I consider it an eminently acceptable tradeoff
to lengthen boot time - something that happens seldom - to make it much
harder to screw up the system to the point that it won't boot.

The monolithic startup script should have gone the way of the dodo a long
time ago. The only real objection to it has ever been in the BSD camp, a
group known for virulent NIH syndrome.