Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 19:17:10
On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> > [1.5] takes about 5 times as long [as what? it's not clear] to boot,
>
> I'm not surprised.  This is one of the prices of the breaking the
> traditional /etc/rc boot script that was done.  It might be interesting
> to try 1.4.x boot scripts on an otherwise 1.5 system.

yet another reason to ask 'why on earth did they do that?' I had a large
argument with several folks on port-alpha where this became a big issue
a while back. I never got an acceptable explanation as to why they went
with the (imho retarted) rc.d crap.. personally i keep a tarball of some
1.3 vintage rc scripts and just trash the rc.d stuff and unroll the old
stuff on newer systems, but i was extremely disappointed about and
opposed to the switch. this slowness factor is just another reason to
not do it that way!!

isildur