Subject: timing numbers on 1.5
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 13:24:57
I needed to test a MV II board set so I plugged them into my BA213 and
booted the generic kernel that was sitting on the disk. The system consists of
	KA630 MV II CPU
	8MB RAM (9MB total)
	DEQNA ethernet
	CMD CQD440 SCSI interface
	CXA16 serial multiplexor

Anyway, booting from a disk on the scsi chain I measured:
	Time to get to mounting root	< 1minute
	Time to get to secure level change	3:26
	Time to get to Updating motd		4:40
	Time to get to login: prompt		5:24

So basically a 5 and a half minute boot sequence. I don't start any local
daemons except for inetd and cron (no sendmail, no nfs, no xntp etc)

This has to be mostly fork/exec activity because the 3400 (KA640) isn't
that much faster (perhaps 30% faster?)

For those of you who are interested in configurations DEC never imagined,
you can run a MicroVAX II in the BA213 if you use the KA650 cab kit :-)

--Chuck