Subject: Re: Any NetBSD installations on VAX 11/{780,750,730} systems?
To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 15:25:33
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Matt London wrote:

> Well I got my MicroVAX 3100 m10e all set up, enabled a handful of daemons,
> and noticed that 4M RAM is really not enough to do anything contructive
> with this machine at all. After over 8 hours (I left it overnight), I
> decided to give up on waiting for it to boot. It'd got up to starting
> nfsd. It really hits swap hard (there's plenty of it).
>
> [...]

Are you running with a GENERIC kernel (the one that came with the install)
or do you have a custom compiled kernel?

Firstly, I think you'd be a bit optimistic if you're trying to run nfsd on
such a system. You're not going to be able to much in the way of offering
server side functionality on 4Megs. If you haven't already, I'd suggest
reducing the number of nfsd's down to 1 from the default of 4.

However, if a 4Meg system can't even boot multiuser with a stripped down
kernel, then I think we need to find out where the extra bloat is hiding
in the 1.5 kernel and find a way to work around it.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
                As seen in Pine:  [ Cancel Cancelled ]