Subject: Re: Any NetBSD installations on VAX 11/{780,750,730} systems?
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 14:51:17
> Just a question to be asked out of idle curiosity... Is anyone on this
> list running NetBSD (any version of it) on one of the earlier VAX systems?

I am curious too.... especially on 750 or 730 class machines.
I have been keeping an eye out for some of that hardware, just for
the fun of it......(:+\\...

> Given the recent discussion threads on the 1.5 release performing less
> than wonderfully on slower hardware like the 0.9 MIPS MicroVAX-II, I'm
> curious about it's usability on the ever slower VAX 11/750 and 11/730.

If it takes the MVII over 6 minutes to load, I would be very curious
as to how long it took a 1/3 as fast machine to load.  For the sake
of discussion, is there any thought towards tailoring a special
VAX NetBSD suite to just the old slow machines because of their
limitations, that might be optimized for speed or minimized for
critical mass or footprint, etc.?  I sense the bulk or waistline
of the current builds are approaching or are at that point of possible
limitiation.

Just thinking out loud, again.....

> I do have a nice 4Meg MicroVAX-I which clocks in at ~0.3 MIPS, but NetBSD
> isn't ported to it... yet.  A resource limited system like this would
> surely test the bounds of NetBSD running with restricted resources.

Somewhere I remember running across an Ultrix set for that critter,
but I don't remember exactly where.  My options guide from 1986(?)
lists an Ultrix 32 for that critter, that was floppy or maybe floppy
and/or TK50 based.  It might be used for comparisons, or maybe a
starting port, if it could be located.

Bob