Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 11:13:37
> > > I'm not surprised.  This is one of the prices of the breaking
> > > the traditional /etc/rc boot script that was done.  It might
> > > be interesting to try 1.4.x boot scripts on an otherwise 1.5
> > > system.
> >
> > I was sensing it probably has a lot to do with that.  Would it
> > be worth trying a 1.4.3 boot script set on 1.5 to see what it
> > does?
>
> If I'm not terribly mistaken, it should not be very difficult to use
> the 1.5 boot script setup to (re)generate a single-file/single-pass
> boot script.  I would recommend going down this path instead of
> downgrading to the 1.4.x boot scripts.

OK.  Is there anything else in the new booting scripts or elsewhere
that one might fiddle with to help speed up the really slow machines?
I stripped some code out of my netstart script, for example, and put in
a force the one and only qe0 interface to ifconfig, and that sped up
that section of booting by 15 seconds or so.  How far could one strip
the boot scripts down on a 1.0 VUP and under box to speed it along.
Could one, for example, set up the scripts with some in-line cpu
testing that would cause an alternate set of mini scripts to load
rather than the mile-long 1.5 method?  That would speed things along
considerably, I would think, and also be somewhat flexible, in that
it could be specifically tailored to the really-slow boxes like the
MVII and 11/7xx lines.

I know... get a fast machine... but, it really is fun playing with
some of the paternal hardware, of rightfully ancient vintage, but
still not be too burdened with heavyweight OS bulge.

Just thinking out loud..... (:+}}... I seem to do a lot of that.....

Thanks All....

Bob