Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: Arno Griffioen <griffioena@psi.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 15:32:21
> > Yes, but would the result be significantly more efficient than the
> > split-up boot scripts?
>
> Might it make a difference due to all of the #!/bin/sh invocations for
> each script?  The new rc method is going to invoke it n times as opposed
> to the old method's 1 time IIRC.

I'll just add my 0.02 Euro :-)

I haven't tried 1.5 yet, but under 1.4U I noticed a *huge* slowdown on
my 3600 (KA650, 32Mb , no swap used) with process fork()s and exec()s
compared to earlier releases.

Starting a subshell from something like 'vi' takes quite a while. Once it's
running everything is OK. Dynamic linking perhaps slow?

If the new rc scripts start a new shell every time and this thing
I see is still present in 1.5 then I can imagine that it's getting
real slow to start.

Perhaps someone can run the process creation test from an old BYTE UNIX
benchmark on some NetBSD releases to see if there's a significant drop
somewhere.

Sorry if I'm way off base here, but just something which I noticed..

							Bye, Arno.

--
PSINetworks Europe         Phone: +31-23-5699846 | One disk to rule them all,
Siriusdreef 34               FAX: +31-20-8640234 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')