Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on uVAX II (Questions)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/27/2000 08:25:30
>>> This is one of the prices of the breaking the traditional /etc/rc
>>> boot script that was done.
>> I was sensing it probably has a lot to do with that.  Would it be
>> worth trying a 1.4.3 boot script set on 1.5 to see what it does?
> If I'm not terribly mistaken, it should not be very difficult to use
> the 1.5 boot script setup to (re)generate a single-file/single-pass
> boot script.

Yes, but would the result be significantly more efficient than the
split-up boot scripts?  When this was discussed back when the split-up
happened, the only monolithic boot script option was, loosely speaking,
"cat `rcorder` > /etc/rc".  Has it been improved?

> I would recommend going down this path instead of downgrading to the
> 1.4.x boot scripts.

It would be interesting to try a 1.5 monolithic boot script, but I
would definitely recommend upgrading to the 1.4.x boot scripts.

The original poster, of course, will have to make hir own choices.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca