Subject: More netboot questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ben <bluesky6@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/25/2000 18:21:22
Hi folks, it's Christmas day and I should be playing with the kids,
but I'm playing with my MV3300 instead :-)

I've been trying to do a netboot today.

I have set up (according to the netboot documents) : mop, rarp,
bootparams, nfs all running on a Sparc with OpenBSD 2.8

I want to netboot NetBSD 1.5 on the Vax.

On doing b/100 esa0, then entering mopboot as the mop file, I get=20

>> NetBSD/vax boot [Nov 17 2000 07:23:42] <<
>> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
Trying BOOTP
Using IP address: 192.168.1.28
myip:  (192.168.1.28)
root addr=3D192.168.1.1 path=3D/

After which, the Vax waits and waits and waits, then it reports that
it is trying to boot netbsd.gz, etc etc

Now, the sparc is on 198.128.1.26. There is a DHCP server on the
network that is on 192.168.1.1. So it looks like the Vax is getting
its IP from the DHCP server.

Does the line "root addr=3D192...." mean that the Vax is trying to do
the rest of the netboot process from the DHCP server?

If so does that mean that I should set up a DHCP server or BOOTPd on
the sparc as well?

Any other suggestions are welcome. I've a queue of vaxen to netboot
:-)

Ben

On the sparc, I manually invoked each of the daemons in its own
window. Only the mopd window shows traffic with the Vax.