Subject: Re: Additional 4000/200 info
To: Hank Lee <thlee@home.com>
From: Yubyub bird <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/24/2000 20:40:34
Chuck McManis said on 2000-12-24:

> At 01:26 PM 12/24/00 -0800, Hank Lee wrote:
> >One last question: can I replace the DUA0
> >(RA81) with any current scsi hard drive?
> >I have one 2G segate scsi hd, can I use it
> >for the DUA0?
>
> Depends a bit on the controller but generally the answer is yes you can.
> You may run into problems if you try to put a more than 8GB disk on the
> controller. There are three things that older controllers suffer from:

I can vouch for that 8GB limit.  I had a nice 9.1GB 7200 RPM FH SCSI-2
drive which would refuse to work with my CMD SCSI controller...  It
would've been overkill (a killer drive on a qbus card ;-) but it was the
only place I could fit a full height.

Using a 2GB disk (old Compaq spare) works just fine, although I've had
some installation problems with 1.5 (one panic, and an "illegal
instruction" when running fsck).  I'm not sure whether it's my machine or
a 1.5 problem.  The disk is ruled out, as I've run _tons_ of verify tests
on it...

#2 hit me, but whipping up a cable and connecting to the console on my
controller allows me to overcome it.  You may need to do something
similar, but it depends on the card...

> As the 4000/200 is fairly "new" generally #1 won't be a problem. You can
> avoid #2 by putting your new drive on as ID 0 like your current drive,
> however if you have a way to put two drives on to the SCSI chain try that
> and see if the controller "just works." The third one you won't know until
> you try to use a SCSI CD-ROM with the controller.
>
> Merry Christmas to you as well,
> --Chuck
>
> P.S. The charge for help on this list is that you keep the chain alive by
> helping at least two other people. :-) This way one act of kindness can
> help everyone in the whole world in 33 iterations!

Ahhh... the big O of kindness...

May everyone's holiday be with happiness, cheer, and herds of vaxen
grazing in your bedroom.

--
Yubyub Bird
 "The opinions expressed are not necesarily opinions."