Subject: Re: Telnet: Enabling?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/24/2000 08:18:40
At 06:16 AM 12/24/00 -0800, you wrote:
>         Well, when it was said that NetBSD 1.5 was "secure out of the
> box," that's
>definitely what they meant! I'm finding that any attempt to telnet to one
>of my newly-loaded boxes results in "Connection Refused."
>         How do I change this? I've searched the man pages and some of the
> config
>files without a lot of success.

Change /etc/inetd.conf and remove the '#' before the line that starts telnetd.

If you want to login as root remotely (not recommended on systems connected
to the internet :-) edit /etc/ttys and add 'secure' after ttyp0 and p1.

>         Also, as a side note: Can anyone give me the Reader's Disgust
> version of
>what rpcbind's purpose in life is?

rpcbind is the Sun ONC/RPC equivalent of inetd :-) It implements the
portmapper protocol that identifies the port assigned to a particular RPC
service. (One of my claim's to fame is that I am responsible for port 111
in the IP assigned port numbers database :-)

--Chuck