Subject: Additional 4000/200 info
To: Hank Lee <thlee@home.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/23/2000 22:37:10
At 09:12 PM 12/23/00 -0800, Hank Lee wrote:
>I am VERY new in vax which means I have no idea what
>it means netbsd not support SHAC DSSI Disk controller.
>Does this mean all devices named DIAx are not support?

That is correct, DIAx and MIAx (tapes) are not currently supported by NetBSD.

>If I cannot install NetBSD to these harddrive, can I install it
>to the external scsi hadrddrive such as the DUA0 in my vax
>box. What is the procedure to do the installation?

Yes, you can install to the external drive. On my 3400 where I'm doing DSSI
development the SCSI drives show up as ra0 and ra1. If you have a CD on the
scsi interface it too will show up as an ra{n} number. To install to one of
these drives you need to write a disk label and a boot block. If for
example you are going to install to ra0 then you would type:
# disklabel -B ra0
# disklabel -i ra0
partition> ?
(shows the help screen)
The program creates a "default" label of the whole drive. I usually define
a (32M, mounts on /), b (32M, swap), f (128M, mounts on /var), g (512M,
mounts on /usr), and h (all the rest, mounts on /export) partitions.

Then type
# newfs /dev/ra0a
# newfs /dev/ra0f
# newfs /dev/ra0g
# newfs /dev/ra0h

Create a mount point and mount:
# mkdir /a
# mount /dev/ra0a /a
# mkdir /a/var /a/usr
# mount /dev/ra0f /a/var
# mount /dev/ra0g /a/usr

Now mount up the release sets from an NFS server and cd to that directory:
# mount server:/export/netbsd-1.5/ /mnt
# cd /mnt/binary/sets
# foreach i (*.tgz)
? gzip -dc $i | ( cd /a ; tar -xvpf -)
? end

All the sets will unpack.

# (cd /a/dev ; ./MAKEDEV all) &

Starts the system building all the devices

# cd /a/etc
# vi <configuration files like rc.conf, hosts, inetd.conf, ttys, etc)

# sync ; sync ; sync
# (verify that your makedev process is finished)
# halt

Now boot from DUA0.

--Chuck