Subject: Re: what's a BA213?
To: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/23/2000 16:34:05

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Pierre-Michel Ricordel wrote:

> > Now when someone asks this question I have a URL to point them to:
> >
> > <http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/ba213.htm>
> >
> > --Chuck (who is having fun with HTML these days ...)
>
> On the web site, I read :
>
> "The final scary bit about this cabinet is that it requires a very special
> power cord. If you see one being thrown out save it as they are not that
> common. It has a right angled end that looks like a standard IEC power cord,
> but the connector has a notch taken out of it. Why? Who knows but it does."
>
> Well, I think it is not so scary. My BA440 has the same notched power plug.
> To my great surprise, I found that an old power cord I made 10 years ago has
> the
> same notch. The plug came from a grocery store totally unrelated to Digital.
> Maybe these notched plugs are just a long forgoten IEC standard extension ?
>
> More scary on the BA440 is the metal sheet that prevent a mysterious button
> to be pressed
> when the power cord is plugged...still wondering...

They're both standard connectors, the one without the notch is rated at
5A, the one with is rated at 10A (might be 15A tho, I'd have to check and
I'm too lazy). We use them over here for devices such as electric kettles,
hence the common slang term for them over here - "kettle plug".

As for the practice of cutting a notch in a normal plug - be careful - the
cable you're using may not be rated for the extra current. Make sure you
use a properly rated fuse.

Bye for now,

       Matt
/------------------------\
|  /\  /\   /_\  --- --- |
| /  \/  \ /   \  |   |  |
\------------------------/
E-mail:
  mattl@fnmail.com, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  matt@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://www.lunarix.org/
       A Founding Developer of the LunariX Linux Distribution
PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html