Subject: Re: what's a BA213?
To: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/23/2000 16:45:59
Hi !

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Pierre-Michel Ricordel wrote:
> > Now when someone asks this question I have a URL to point them to:
> >
> > <http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/ba213.htm>
> >
> > --Chuck (who is having fun with HTML these days ...)
>
> On the web site, I read :
>
> "The final scary bit about this cabinet is that it requires a very special
> power cord. If you see one being thrown out save it as they are not that
> common. It has a right angled end that looks like a standard IEC power cord,
> but the connector has a notch taken out of it. Why? Who knows but it does."

I know only the germal words for the 2 different connectors, the usual PC thing
is named "Kaltgeraetestecker" (cold device connector), the thing used in a
BA213 is a "Warmgeraetestecker" (warm device connector). The latter usually
is thought to be for some more powerful devices. But you can take a knife and
convert your standard PC power cable. I did so, and it works fine.

The enclosure also exists in a two-door version as some 4000er VAXen. (I think
4000/300 upwards has this, here is my 4000/300:

http://www.bsdfans.org/machpics/aphrodite.jpg

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.