Subject: Re: Q-bus IDE
To: Sebastian Marius Kirsch <skirsch@moebius.inka.de>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/22/2000 18:59:22
Hi !

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Sebastian Marius Kirsch wrote:
> > i[3456789]86 machine + IDE + Linux + Linux-NFS-server = worst case. ;-)
> > Relly, PCs and the crap that comes from them does not make fun. I use
>
> The preferred platform for NFS should be Solaris, I think; as far as I
> know, the Solaris NFS implementation is superior to every other. (Or so
> they say at my workplace.) That's one of the reasons why I want an SS10
> -- so that I can serve NFS from it ...

I never had NFS problems with my old Linux Server (2.0.36-kernel, RedHat 5.2),
but i also found some design bugs, especially when parsing the /etc/exports.
Solaris was my next NFS server here for about a year, it just worked fine, but
the Solaris filesystem is much slower in writing. Ok, this is due to the
very instable async-mounded Linux filesystem. We should leave this out. My
Sparc gave about 8,25MB/s NFS read transfer with 32KB blocksize.
Today, i use a FreeBSD machine and i'm also happy with it. Next machine will
be NetBSD or OpenBSD :) In 10MBit/s things i'll try my SNI RM400 now with
Reliant Unix 4.53.

> But you can always use a fast VAX with SCSI to serve a slow VAX without
> SCSI. And knowing your machine collection, I doubt that you will have
> problems finding a suitable pair of machines for that task. ;-)

You can easily serve a VAX from a nice DECstation, an old Sparc, a faster
HP300, or maybe even a PC with SCO (who wants that?)

Netbooting _ONE_ 10MBit/s box isn't that problem. The problem is serving
several clients with a 100MBit/s-network, there you should use hardware RAID
as the storage. The commonly "used" problems in our areas are compatibility
problems, and Linux just hast several new bugs and features with 2.2 versions
of the Kernel. 2.0 ran quite fine, but 2.2 is horrible. Let's see what happens
with 2.4. Isn't IPFILTER stolen into Linux in 2.4?

Just my 0.02 Euro

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.