Subject: Re: Q-bus IDE
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/22/2000 08:03:28

Allison writes:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, emanuel stiebler wrote:
>
> > > It's not that far off.  I bought one at Best Buy for $99 with a rebate of
> > > $10.
> >
> > Sorry, you're talking disks, not controllers ?
> >

> Your missing the point.  IDE disks have the controller on board and all
> you need is an INTERFACE to the Q-bus.  SCSI however requires a controller
> and is a major pain to work with save for you can interface a lot more.

Terminological quibble.  SCSI disks also have the controller on board.
The thing that SCSI requires is a Host Adapter.

> In either case the real work is the device driver with the SCSI one being
> simpler in some ways and harder in others depending on chips used.

In order to use unadulterated operating system software the Host
Adapter must translate MSCP into SCSI commands.  Of course, the same
could be said of the hardware adapter for an IDE disk.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu