Subject: Re: Q-bus IDE
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/22/2000 10:41:05
On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:

> I think we agreed the cheapest way to add IDE drives to a VAX was to spend
> $20 on a 486 based PC, put Linux on it and mount the disks using NFS. :-)
>
> --Chuck

You could go faster if you used the 486 with dos and wrote a caching
driver then used a parallel port to DRV11 interface, then IO would be
limited by the Qbus side rather than the slower eithernet.

The other peice is people talking about 80gb drives when what most appear
to want is a good cheap interface that would accept a 500mb-->8gb drive
that can be scrounged for pennies.  A simple Qbus board (PIO) would

Allison