Subject: Re: SQ706 firmware and mscp emulation vs real 4.3BSD bits...
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/21/2000 13:16:46
> > Following the thread with the Earliest VAX port, I was playing around
> > last night with Tahoe, Reno, and Quasijarus.  None of them would boot
> > with their native boot blocks.... bad karma.

> Uhhh, yes. In summer I installed Quasijarus on a MVII with two RD53. It
> was a nightmare. Mr. Sokolov removed the support for RD5x drives in his
> current distribution. RD5x drives are not "real", form his, ahhm,
> "special" point of view... I mixed the bootblocks and install sets from
> Qj0 and Qj0a in some wired way and finaly I got it on a RD53 installed.
> I think I used the boot blocks and miniroot from Qj0 and the tar-files
> from Qj0a. Starting from Qj it will be quite easy to convert to some
> 4.3BSD stuff.

Why does it have to be so pointed to view....   We are all in this for
the benefit of BSD, and that is all that counts.  Sometimes, some sticky
``special'' points of view get in the way, but, a good BSD freak will
learn to code around it, right?  (:+}}...

If you have any more information on this, it might be useful, for the
sake of discussion.  I am finding out some interesting tidbits as
I work the various releases from 4.2BSD through NetBSD-current.
Good way to learn things.

> NetBSD can also be usefull to get Qj installed. As I know Qj needs a
> disklabel on disks, that it does not know. If you compile the Qj
> disklabel programm under NetBSD and write a Qj disklabel on to the disk
> it may be possible to use any generic MSCP disk.

I was using the 1.0A VAX NetBSD as the build platform for both the
real Reno and Quasijarus on scsi mscp disks.  What I was able to
do was get the kernel booted and running up through the mscp disk
checks, where it aborted to reboot.  But, I used the NetBSD-1.0A
VAX boot blocks to load the kernel.  That did work.  The native
boot blocks did not handle the mscp/scsi at all.  Also the
NetBSD disklabelling, etc, worked fine, and much less trouble
than trying the suggested disklabel from Ultrix.

Anyway, I almost got Reno running.... getting close, though.
I am bound and determined to get that muther up on my MVII
with scsi drives, so I can finish my comparisons with NetBSD.

Bob