Subject: Re: Any spare Qbus cdrom cards for an RRD42 drive around?
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/21/2000 07:18:24
Hi !

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a "native" Q-bus SCSI interface, ie, one that
> > doesn't hide its SCSIness?  It wouldn't be bootable without replacing
> > all the ROM code, but it would still be useful nonetheless (at least to
> > retrocomputing geeks like us :-).
>
> Isn't that what the DEC KFQZA was?  A raw SCSI card that required a
> special driver?

I think you mean KZQSA. A strange device, i think it is intended as a tape
controller von 4000 series VAXen. Only 4000 firmware knows about it, my MV
3400 doesn't show it up. It seems to be some dumb controller with 128 KB of
shared memory... maybe some kind of VAXstation-SCSI-subsystem as QBus card.

If someone has technical information about it... :)

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.