Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netbooting questions
To: None <corleyja@hushmail.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/21/2000 07:13:56
Hi !

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 corleyja@hushmail.com wrote:
> So DSSI is only supported on a MSCP controller...  How do I find out if
> I have a MSCP controller?  In case it hasn't become apparent, I'm not at
> all familiar with VAX hardware and I am really not that familiar with *BSD
> -- I'm really a Linux guy and this is my first foray into the BSD world.

A MSCP controller in the 4000/300 is always a QBus-card. So if you do
"SHOW QBUS", you should see it. KZQSA is SCSI, but not MSCP, KFQSA is DSSI and
MSCP, and there are several other controllers. You can use these Names on the
some pages with info about it (start at http://www.bsdfans.org/, there are
some links to such pages), and find out everything about your hardware.

>  I've tried to peruse the archives of this list, but I'm sure I missed a
> whole bunch.  In short, please be as patient as you have been so far.  From
> what I've seen so far this is the most helpful newsgroup I've ever posted
> to.  But I digress.  So if I have useable hardware that I can boot to, is
> there any documentation on how to do that (I assume I follow the netboot
> procedure and then sacrifice a small animal and make the magic incantation
> :-)?  Also, if I need to rearrange some internals in order to get these
> drives working, is there some documentation on that?

I wrote some net-install-howto some time ago, it is on my page. This hardware
"tuning" is not described in detail for your special configuration, but on
hamsters pages, there is a lot of information about the QBus in generic, i
think this will help you very much to understand some things about the VAXen.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.