Subject: Re: faster compiling
To: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 17:46:11
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Anders Hogrelius wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, bart sikkes wrote:

> > So i need NetBSD to get this to work. It can't work on redhat linux?

> Linux _might_ be able to run the NetBSD binaries with IBCS2. The best
> bet would still be NetBSD-i386 though. I've tried to build a working
> crosscompiler for linux, but so far i haven't been able to make it work.
> I also made some attempts on the latest version on cygwin, but the linker
> seems to be a tough nut to crack. I can make objectfiles that can be
> linked with the vax version of ld, to make working binaries, but so far
> the cross-compile version dowsn't work well.

And if you're not ready to reinstall your system with NetBSD/i386, you
*might* trying running NetBSD/i386 under plex86 (http://www.plex86.org/)
on Linux.  I think this would be a lot easier than getting a NetBSD/vax
toolchain running natively under Linux/i386.

Just an idea.  I've not played with plex86 yet, but theoretically this
should work.  Or if you've already got it or want it, you might try it
using plex86's commercial equivalent, VMware (http://www.vmware.com/).

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
Font-o-Meter!      Proportional  Monospaced
                                      ^