Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netbooting questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <corleyja@hushmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 16:26:51
--Hushpart_boundary_AuHndvyZefmEblkMvTORkCfgEcYdUIiu

Ok, just to make sure I state this ourtright, I am currently netbooting
via the methodology outlined in the netbooting how-to, with my root filesystem
being NFS mounted from a Red Hat Linux 6.2 box.

>DSSI is currently only supported through a MSCP-controller. I use a KFQSA
and
>connected its DSSI bus to the internal DSSI bus and use the disks this
way.
>But support is on the way, as i've seen here.
>
>> UQSSP Tape Controller 0 (774500)
>> -MUA0
>
>This should work. TK70?

Yes this is a TK70 drive (or so the little sticker says on the front).

So DSSI is only supported on a MSCP controller...  How do I find out if
I have a MSCP controller?  In case it hasn't become apparent, I'm not at
all familiar with VAX hardware and I am really not that familiar with *BSD
-- I'm really a Linux guy and this is my first foray into the BSD world.
 I've tried to peruse the archives of this list, but I'm sure I missed a
whole bunch.  In short, please be as patient as you have been so far.  From
what I've seen so far this is the most helpful newsgroup I've ever posted
to.  But I digress.  So if I have useable hardware that I can boot to, is
there any documentation on how to do that (I assume I follow the netboot
procedure and then sacrifice a small animal and make the magic incantation
:-)?  Also, if I need to rearrange some internals in order to get these
drives working, is there some documentation on that?
Thanks for all your help,
Jason
--Hushpart_boundary_AuHndvyZefmEblkMvTORkCfgEcYdUIiu--

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have access to your open personal email messages.