Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netbooting questions
To: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 15:08:48
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Michael Kukat wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 corleyja@hushmail.com wrote:

> > Ok, on to my questions.  In the end section of the netbooting document,
> > there is a mention that vaxen with more than 16MB of RAM may have issues
> > with netbooting.  I don't remember the details, but it appeared that the
> > lance ethernet controller got overwritten or something like that.  I am
> > having some issues with my machine that  appear to be a symptom of this
> > problem, but I'm not sure.  So a) has anyone else had this problem, b) does
> > this problem still exist, and c) is there a work-around besides removing
> > RAM until I have only 16MB?
>
> This only seems to apply to some VAXstations, or is even completely obsolete
> today. My 4000/300 (the machine, where the port was made :) has 32 Megs and
> runs very fine, survived lots of NetBSD kernel builds for now.

The 16MB limit is no longer an issue.  I know it was resolved for the
VAXstation 3100s with the NetBSD/vax 1.4 release, so it was solved at
least that recently.

That's not so say you're not experiencing some sort memory problem.  If
you run a prom level memory test on the system, does the RAM all check out
okay?

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----