Subject: Re: VAX 4000/300 netbooting questions
To: None <corleyja@hushmail.com>
From: Michael Kukat <port-vax@vaxpower.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 20:37:00
Hi !

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 corleyja@hushmail.com wrote:
> Ok, on to my questions.  In the end section of the netbooting document,
> there is a mention that vaxen with more than 16MB of RAM may have issues
> with netbooting.  I don't remember the details, but it appeared that the
> lance ethernet controller got overwritten or something like that.  I am
> having some issues with my machine that  appear to be a symptom of this
> problem, but I'm not sure.  So a) has anyone else had this problem, b) does
> this problem still exist, and c) is there a work-around besides removing
> RAM until I have only 16MB?

This only seems to apply to some VAXstations, or is even completely obsolete
today. My 4000/300 (the machine, where the port was made :) has 32 Megs and
runs very fine, survived lots of NetBSD kernel builds for now.

> Also, what is the status of DSSI support?  And furthermore, are there detailed
> documents on how to get a particular drive running?  I have read through
> the archive and people make statements that sound like some DSSI drives
> might work if connected to a particular controller, but I've found no documentation
> on what controller I need or how to set it up should I have that controller
> available.  Here is what I have available:

DSSI is currently only supported through a MSCP-controller. I use a KFQSA and
connected its DSSI bus to the internal DSSI bus and use the disks this way.
But support is on the way, as i've seen here.

> UQSSP Tape Controller 0 (774500)
> -MUA0

This should work. TK70?

> So can I boot to/store data on any of these drives?  Also, what are the
> sizes of these drives.

RF72 is 1 Gig and RF31 is 380MB. RF31 would be a nice boot device, and maybe
you put /export or so on a striped vinum-drive :)
Anyway... nice disk set. I have one RF72 in it, and is is really enough,
my MicroVAX II uses 3 RD54 (170MB each), and i think, the RF31 is very good
for a nice full installation without large amounts of data.

But: You have to wait or get a KFQSA or so to use these drives.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.