Subject: VAX 4000/300 netbooting questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <corleyja@hushmail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 14:01:24
--Hushpart_boundary_RIZpfjLNnLtcLlFbaHJBTbClEOtcLPar

First off, I would like to give major thanks to all the folks who worked
on NetBSD 1.5 because my VAX 4000/300 is now supported, and quite nicely
I might add.  Also, I would like to thank Brian Chase, because even though
his netbooting document is ~2 years old, it worked like a champ for me.

Ok, on to my questions.  In the end section of the netbooting document,
there is a mention that vaxen with more than 16MB of RAM may have issues
with netbooting.  I don't remember the details, but it appeared that the
lance ethernet controller got overwritten or something like that.  I am
having some issues with my machine that  appear to be a symptom of this
problem, but I'm not sure.  So a) has anyone else had this problem, b) does
this problem still exist, and c) is there a work-around besides removing
RAM until I have only 16MB?

Also, what is the status of DSSI support?  And furthermore, are there detailed
documents on how to get a particular drive running?  I have read through
the archive and people make statements that sound like some DSSI drives
might work if connected to a particular controller, but I've found no documentation
on what controller I need or how to set it up should I have that controller
available.  Here is what I have available:
>>> sho dev
DSSI Bus 0 Node 0 (SYSDSK)
-DIA0 (RF31)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 1 (DISK1)
-DIA1 (RF72)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 2 (DISK2)
-DIA2 (RF72)
DSSI Bus 0 Node 6 (*)

DSSI Bus 1 Node 7 (*)

UQSSP Tape Controller 0 (774500)
-MUA0

Ethernet Adapter
-EZA0

So can I boot to/store data on any of these drives?  Also, what are the
sizes of these drives.

Thanks,
Jason
--Hushpart_boundary_RIZpfjLNnLtcLlFbaHJBTbClEOtcLPar--

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  If you are not using HushMail, this message could have been read easily by the many people who have access to your open personal email messages.