Subject: Re: Booting 3100 VAXen from 9 track tapes (how?)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 10:18:58
> The only booter that will work out of the box will be the 1.5 booter since
> it uses the console routines to access the device that is being booted.
> Once 'boot' is loaded and started it has to figure out how to get the
> kernel off the boot device and I don't think there is anything other than
> TMSCP support in boot (I don't see an 'st.c' file which is what I would
> expect if SCSI boot was supported).

I tried the 1.5 booter you put together a couple days ago, and that
dumped registers also, at any b mkaxxx incantation.

The tape tars/dd's, etc, fine, but won't boot.  I still have a sense
that it might be something the prom is looking for and not seeing,
since the tape did not even begin to roll in the boot process.

I will play with it some more over the weekend.

Bob