Subject: Re: Any spare Qbus cdrom cards for an RRD42 drive around?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 10:15:12
> Any disk capable SCSI card will work for the RRD42 or RRD43. A Viking QTD
> card can be had from re-sellers on the net. Or you can wait for one to fall
> out of the sky (happens a lot around scrap yards). Needless to say these
> cards also enable one to use cheap and plentiful SCSI disks on your VAXen
> so are greatly cherished by those of us keeping VAXen alive :-)

Ahhh, so if I am interpreting you correctly, I can merely set the ID of
the RRD42 to 4 (where it usually is) and hang it off my Dilog SCSI card?
Gee, if that is the case, that is quite fortunate.  I was thinking it
required a special cdrom card on the Qbus.

As to scsi tapes like the Cipher 9 track decks with single-ended scsi,
why or why not could they also not be hung off the disk scsi bus?
The Dilog card has 7 ID's it can handle, if memory is correct.
I was thinking scsi tape decks on Qbus also required special tape
adapters.  If not, again, that would be quite fortunate.

Would that also suggest I could stick an Exabyte 8200/8500 tape or a
9/18 track 1/4 inch streamer tape like an Archive or Wangtek transport,
on the Dilog card, too?

This is getting informative?

Bob