Subject: Re: VAX4000/200 Netboot for 3 days and still not work.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ivo Janssen <ivo@ivo.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/20/2000 13:10:12
I had the same problem, mopd -d running, together with even tcpdump,
both boxes (the VAX and the mopd server) on 1 empty hub. Nothing.

Then I started kicking the VAX, checked all the cables and connectors
and see, 1 packet came through. It turned out the ethernet device on
the VAX was so old, there was a lot of wobbly connections between the
AUI interface and the transceiver to UTP. Replacing that transceiver,
kicking the box again a few times and reconnecting all cables made me
get an additional 5 packets and ever since it sort of netboots with a
whopping 100kbytes/s.

Even if you don't fill out the right netboot name, at least _some_
traffic should be visible with tcpdump or moptrace.

YMMV

Ivo

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
> > When you run mopd use 'mopd -d' initally (or "mopd -d -d" as more "-d"
> > options get you into higher diagnostic levels). WHen your vax tries to boot
> > it should show up on the tty where mopd is running.
> >
> > Most common problem is that mopd wants things in all UPPPERCASE like
> > MOPBOOT.SYS even though you type the name to the vax in lower case.
>
> Also, beware that trying to boot netbsd.ram.gz won't work, as it doesn't
> have support for the 4000/200 built in.
>
> Netbooting a generic kernel and nfs mounting root works great,
> though.  Beware that the mopd that is distributed with 1.5 doesn't work,
> either - you'll have to compile mopd from -current (or, at least I
> did) due to a PR with mopd (bin/11253 - closed, but not in 1.5, perhaps in
> -release?)
>
> With the mopd change, and booting a generic kernel, my 4000/200 works
> great.  I've yet to attempt a manual install due to lack of time, so I
> can't vouch for anything past that yet.
>
> -Jon
>  "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
>  "Zing, zing zing zing!"
>  "Keep away from the trout."
>  -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
>  "Who stole my lawn?"

Ivo

--