Subject: Re: Bulk erasing TK50 tapes.....
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/2000 15:17:41
> TK70 media when bulk erased becomes TK50 media.

OK, that is good to know.  I was thinking there may be differences
in magnetic flux density or things like that.

> >Does NetBSD or Ultrix require this initing of the tapes before use?
> >If so, what specifically does that in either OS, or is it done from
> >prom?  I did not recall running across anything like that in my
> >Ultrix manuals, but maybe I need to recheck those.  Me and VMS don't
> >get along very well....(:+{{..
>
> mt erase did it on ultrix.
> init/erase on vms.

Strange..... I don't get any erase function to work on my TK50 drives
in NetBSD or Ultrix.  Is there a switch or jumper that might be off
somewhere?  I could get the 9 track drives to erase, fine, but not the
TK50 things.  That was why I originally inquired about bulk erasing.
I can get a retension to work, but not an erase in NetBSD or Ultrix.
My TK50's are on MVII's and on scsi 3100 machines.

Now I am getting a little confused.

Thanks

Bob