Subject: Re: Bulk erasing TK50 tapes.....
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: None <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/2000 14:39:02
> there weren't, but I got a reply from a Compaq fellow that did not
> recommend bulk-erasing TK50 tapes, because they would have to be
> reformatted.  Strange.... Why would one have to reformat TK50 tapes?
> I was thinking they were plain old 22 track serpentine tapes, and did
> not use any positioning tracks.  Am I misunderstanding the layout of
> TK50 tapes?  Any insights appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

I've bulkerased them and 'inited them under VMS with zero problems.
If the drive then are formatted (inited) on is off however the portability
of the tape may be poor.  They are serpintine or block mode and the basic
init is the calibration tracks and marks.  There are issues with moveing
between tk50 and tk70 where bulk erasing is required if you wish to write
on the tape using TK50.  TK70 media however does not take as well for some
reason to this..

Allison