Subject: Booting 3100 VAXen from 9 track tapes (how?)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/19/2000 12:38:57
I was playing around with the Cipher M995 tape deck last night, and
ran off tapes with boots from 1.3.2 up through 1.5.  Alas, every
time I invoked a b mkaxxx, it would not do anything but dump registers
all over the console.  I don't think it got as far as reading the
tape, even.

1.  Is it possible to boot VS3100 class machines from 9 track tape
    (i.e., is there anything strange in the prom that is a DECism that
     would cause register dumps on non-DEC tape decks?)?

2.  Is there a particular incantation to do this (I tried b, b/1, b/2,
    b/3, etc, all to no avail.... and it should boot off the first file)?

Any suggestions or insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob