Subject: Re: Netbooting a MircoVax 3100 m10e
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/2000 19:29:52

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but...

> > My problem is thus:
> > The machine has 4M physical RAM. I've got the NetBSD-1.5 install
> > netbooting as far as loading the kernel, but it get's to running
> > sysinst, then drops out having run out of swap. I'm passing a
> > swap=fourway:/path/to/swap argument with bootparam, but it doesn't
> > seem to be picking it up (swap is a 32M file). I'm sure there's a way
> > round this.
>
> Yeah, that's probably a worthwhile bug to report.  I'm not sure I've ever
> been able to get the "swap=" option in bootparam to be picked up properly.

Right. I'll bear that in mind, might even look into it when I get my fast
connection bac after christmas.

> What I've done in the past with tight installs like this is to exit out of
> sysinst.  Next you manually mount up the swap space.  I've only done this
> with local swap partitions, but it should work fine with NFS mounted
> files.

That's what I've done with linux installs in the past, I'm just not
familiar enough with netbsd yet :&/

> Use NFS to mount up the filesystem on which the remote swap file lives.
> And the use swapctl to add the file as swap space.
>
>   # mkdir /some_local_mntpoint
>   # mount fourway:/path/to /some_local_mntpoint
>   # swapctl -a /some_local_mntpoint/swap
>
> The re-run sysinst (I think it's in the path by default?)
>
>   # sysinst

We have a problem:
UVM: pid 16 (mount_nfs), uid 0 killed: out of swap

I recon the 2M ramdisk, which is full, is a bit too much for my poor 4M
vax :&(

Now if I could get the root mounted over NFS and not use a ramdisk, I
think we could be in with a chance. I suspect that would be wanting a new
kernel tho, which I don't think I can make here very easily.

Bye for now,

       Matt
/------------------------\
|  /\  /\   /_\  --- --- |
| /  \/  \ /   \  |   |  |
\------------------------/
E-mail:
  mattl@fnmail.com, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  matt@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://www.lunarix.org/
       A Founding Developer of the LunariX Linux Distribution
PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html